There are several credits and benefits that the Governments of Canada and the Provinces make available to persons with disabilities. Likely the most well known of these is the Disability Tax Credit, and we at Disability Credit Consultants could most certainly help you apply for this credit, should you qualify.
However, there are other benefits and credits available, and it is in your best interest to find out which you may meet the criteria for. We suggest calling us at 1-855-752-0288. A short conversation is likely all that will be required to go to the next step.
Listed below are some high-level guidelines for Disability Tax Credit eligibility:
Who is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit?
- A person is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit if over the period of a full year they are unable to hear, see, talk or walk, or they are compromised in one of the “activities of daily living.” These activities include:
- Personal hygiene and grooming
- Dressing and undressing
- Self feeding
- Functional transfers (getting into and out of bed or wheelchair, getting onto or off toilet, etc.)
- Bowel and bladder management
- Ambulation (walking with or without use of an assisted device such as a walker, cane, or crutches, or using a wheelchair)
Importantly, one does not only have to be restricted to a bed, chair or wheelchair in order to be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.
In order to apply for the Disability Tax Credit, certain forms must be completed by a registered medical practitioner. Disability Credit Consultants is very familiar with how best to fill out the forms.
It is important to note that there is a Federal and Provincial component to the Disability Tax Credit and the provinces have differing guidelines. It is also important to note that the Disability Tax Credit is non-refundable and is only available to those who have taxes payable. If the amount of taxes owed is less than the Disability Tax Credit, it is possible to transfer all or part of the disability amount to a spouse or common-law partner or another supporting person.
To have your Disability Tax Credit questions answered call us, Disability Credit Consultants at 1-855-752-0288
Request More Information